Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Lake City, Colorado - Day 2

We started this morning with wildlife, nibbling foliage by the garbage cans at the inn.

 Lake San Cristobal - reflections


We headed up Engineer Pass this morning.  We only drove about 10 miles before the road got too bumpy.  Whitmore Falls is at the 10 mile point.


I stacked some rocks to remember our trip.

Snow-capped mountains


There were two sets of stairs like this - I made it but was a bit uneasy.  I like having handrails!

Ron climbed down further than I did and got this photo.  

We ate our leftover pizza for lunch at the Inn and read and napped all afternoon.  Around 5:00 we decided to go on one more adventure, up Cinnamon Pass in search of the ghost town of Sherman.  Another guest had told us about it and said it was an easier drive than Engineer Pass had been.  




After bingo at the Armory (didn't win anything) we had dinner at Southern Vittles and drove around town in search of more wildlife. 

We headed home on June 30th, driving to Amarillo and then on to Keller on July 1st.  These photos were of Lake San Cristobal overlook.  The trees have grown so much that it's hard to see the lake.  The dead trees are from a beetle infestation that has ravaged the pine trees.  The beetles don't like the aspens so they were not affected.  It was so sad to see so many brown trees.  Dead trees were being logged on the sides of the roads to prevent fire from a lightning strike spreading to town.  


1 comment:

Sherrill said...

You guys have been travelin' fools lately!! Looks like fun and I bet the weather was LOVELY! Were you gone a week?

Aunt Gracie Strips quilt top

This Aunt Gracie Strips quilt top was made from leftovers Loretta Brennan gave me when she was cleaning out her Aunt Gracie stash.  It will ...