Thursday, October 10, 2019

Bonneville Locks, Cascade Locks, Bridge of the Gods and apple orchards - more day 2.

Next stop was Bonneville Locks where we saw a fish ladder and talked with the volunteer about the locks closure during September.  All river traffic came to a standstill for about a month while the locks were drained and repaired.  Glad we weren't on the River Cruise during that time!  

Cascade Locks was a pretty town on the river.  We inquired about the Sternwheeler River Cruise but decided it wasn't a good idea for this trip.  We drove on to Hood River and turned south to drive through apple orchard country.  Stopped at a roadside stand and picked up a few apples for snacks.  Heading on south and then west, we encountered a bit of snow as we drove around Mt. Hood.  

Glad to have leftovers from Boccelli's for dinner at the end of a very long day!


Bridge of the Gods



2 comments:

Sherrill said...

I remember when we drove up Mt. Hood. Weather at the bottom was gorgeous but as we climbed and climbed (in the car, of course), it got colder and foggier so that when we got to the (I guess it was) visitor's center at or near the top, I didn't even get out of the car as I wasn't dressed for the cold up there. The entire area is SO pretty!!

JoAnne said...

That's what happened to us, Sherrill. The lodge parking lot hadn't been scraped and I was afraid to walk on it - didn't want to come home in a cast!

Aunt Gracie Strips quilt top

This Aunt Gracie Strips quilt top was made from leftovers Loretta Brennan gave me when she was cleaning out her Aunt Gracie stash.  It will ...